[media id=1 width=500 height=400]
This fact sheet provides basic information about the herb lavender—common names, uses, potential side effects, and resources for more information. Lavender is native to the Mediterranean region. It was used in ancient Egypt as part of the process for mummifying bodies. Lavender’s use as a bath additive originated in Persia, Greece, and Rome. The herb’s name comes from the Latin lavare, which means “to wash.”
Common Names–lavender, English lavender, garden lavender
Latin Names—Lavandula angustifolia
What It Is Used For
- Historically, lavender was used as an antiseptic and for mental health purposes.
- Today, the herb is used for conditions such as anxiety, restlessness, insomnia, and depression.
- Lavender is also used for headache, upset stomach, and hair loss.
How It Is Used
- Lavender is most commonly used in aromatherapy, in which the scent of the essential oil from the flowers is inhaled.
- The essential oil can also be diluted with another oil and applied to the skin.
- Dried lavender flowers can be used to make teas or liquid extracts that can be taken by mouth.
What the Science Says
- There is little scientific evidence of lavender’s effectiveness for most health uses.
- Small studies on lavender for anxiety show mixed results.
- Some preliminary results indicate that lavender oil, combined with oils from other herbs, may help with hair loss from a condition called alopecia areata.
Side Effects and Cautions
- Topical use of diluted lavender oil or use of lavender as aromatherapy is generally considered safe for most adults. However, applying lavender oil to the skin can cause irritation.
- Lavender oil may be poisonous if taken by mouth.
- When lavender teas and extracts are taken by mouth, they may cause headache, changes in appetite, and constipation.
- Using lavender with sedative medications may increase drowsiness.
- Tell your health care providers about any complementary and alternative practices you use. Give them a full picture of what you do to manage your health. This will help ensure coordinated and safe care.
Lavender, Lavender types, Lavender aliases, Lavender source, Lavender plants, Lavender plant morphology, Lavender acquisition, Lavender traits, Lavender chemical composition, Lavender taste, Lavender function, Lavender functional indications, Lavender of the details, Lavender information, Lavender photos, Lavender pictures, Lavender videos, Lavender photo studio, English lavender, garden lavender, anxiety, hair loss, alopecia areata, air pollution, air pollution effects,alopecia areata cure,alternative health,alternative medicines,aromatherapy,aromatherapy diffuser,aromatherapy essential oil,aromatherapy essential oils,aromatherapy oils,aromatherapy recipes,articles on health care,astragalus,baldness women,benefits of lavender oil,best hair loss products,best hair loss treatment,black cohosh,bladder cancer,bladder disease,body hair loss,bone cancer,breast cancer,bulk dried lavender,candles lavender,child health care,children’s health,christian marriage counseling,crohn’s disease,cure alopecia,current health news,definition of depression,department of social service,dietician degree,digestive diseases,disease,dried herbs,dried lavendar,dried lavender,dried lavender flowers,drug counseling,drug use,effects of air pollution,emu oil,english lavender,environmental health,essential oil,essential oils,essential oils wholesale,eucalyptus oil,exercise for seniors,eye diseases,find a therapist,forensic nursing,french lavender,ginkgo,ginseng,hair gr,wth products,hair loss,hair loss for women,hair loss men,hair loss prevention,hair loss products,hair loss remedies,hair loss solutions,hair loss treatment,hair loss treatment for women,hair loss treatments,hair loss woman,hair regrowth,hair replacement,hair restoration,health,health articles,health care agency,health care magazines,health care training,health clinic,health clinics,health department of state,health dog,health food,health human services,health news articles,health products,healthcare articles,healthcare magazines,healthcare publications,healthcare training,heart diseases,herbal medicine,herbal medicines,holistic health,how to get pregnant,insurance united healthcare,jobs medical assistant,kidney cancer,latest health news,lavender,lavender aromatherapy,lavender buds,lavender bulk,lavender candle,,lavender essential oil,lavender essential oils,lavender farm,lavender flowers,lavender gifts,lavender honey,lavender oil,lavender oil aromatherapy,lavender oils,lavender plant,lavender plants,lavender ,roducts,lavender roses,lavender sachet,lavender sachets,lavender seeds,lavender tea,lavender uses,lavender wreath,liver cancer,living will,living will example,living will form,living will forms,living will template,living wills,,lung cancer,lyme disease,massage oil,massage oils,massage therapy schools,medical articles,medical information,medical publications,medical school,medicine careers,meniere’s disease,mental health,milk thistle,mph online,national health institute,natural hair regrowth,natural remedies,neurological diseases,news health,nurses,nursing college,nursing courses,nursing degrees online,nursing job,nursing school,nursing schools,nutrition courses,nutrition degree,nutrition major,nutritionist degree,oil of lavender,online nursing school,online nursing schools,online radiology degree,organic essential oils,ovarian cancer,pancreatic cancer,peppermint oil,perfume oil,perfume oils,phd online,phd online programs,physical therapy,pregnancy,pure essential oils,pure lavender oil,regrow hair,requiremen,s nursing,sample living will,school,school of nursing,shampoo hair loss,sources of air pollution,stop hair loss,tea tree oil,thinning hair treatment,treat depression,treating depression,treatment for alopecia,treatments alopecia,university of at,university of health sciences,water pollution,weight loss,weight loss programs,weight loss surgery,what is depression,wholesale lavender,women and depression,women hair loss,yohimbe