[media id=2 width=500 height=400]
This fact sheet provides basic information about the herb Asian ginseng—common names, uses, potential side effects, and resources for more information. Asian ginseng is native to China and Korea and has been used in various systems of medicine for many centuries. Asian ginseng is one of several types of true ginseng (another is American ginseng, Panax quinquefolius). An herb called Siberian ginseng or eleuthero (Eleutherococcus senticosus) is not a true ginseng.
Common Names—Asian ginseng, ginseng, Chinese ginseng, Korean ginseng, Asiatic ginseng
Latin Name—Panax ginseng
What It Is Used For
Treatment claims for Asian ginseng are numerous and include the use of the herb to support overall health and boost the immune system. Traditional and modern uses of ginseng include:
- Improving the health of people recovering from illness
- Increasing a sense of well-being and stamina, and improving both mental and physical performance
- Treating erectile dysfunction, hepatitis C, and symptoms related to menopause
- Lowering blood glucose and controlling blood pressure
How It Is Used
The root of Asian ginseng contains active chemical components called ginsenosides (or panaxosides) that are thought to be responsible for the herb’s medicinal properties. The root is dried and used to make tablets or capsules, extracts, and teas, as well as creams or other preparations for external use.
What the Science Says
- Some studies have shown that Asian ginseng may lower blood glucose. Other studies indicate possible beneficial effects on immune function.
- To date, research results on Asian ginseng are not conclusive enough to prove health claims associated with the herb. Only a handful of large clinical trials on Asian ginseng have been conducted. Most studies have been small or have had flaws in design and reporting. Some claims for health benefits have been based only on studies conducted in animals.
- NCCAM supports studies to better understand the use of Asian ginseng. Areas of recent NCCAM-funded research include Asian ginseng’s interactions with other herbs and drugs and the herb’s potential to treat chronic lung infection, impaired glucose tolerance, and Alzheimer’s disease.
Side Effects and Cautions
- When taken by mouth, ginseng is usually well tolerated. Some sources suggest that its use be limited to 3 months because of concerns about the development of side effects.
- The most common side effects are headaches and sleep and gastrointestinal problems.
- Asian ginseng can cause allergic reactions.
- There have been reports of breast tenderness, menstrual irregularities, and high blood pressure associated with Asian ginseng products, but these products’ components were not analyzed, so effects may have been due to another herb or drug in the product.
- Asian ginseng may lower levels of blood sugar; this effect may be seen more in people with diabetes. Therefore, people with diabetes should use extra caution with Asian ginseng, especially if they are using medicines to lower blood sugar or taking other herbs, such as bitter melon and fenugreek, that are also thought to lower blood sugar.
- Tell your health care providers about any complementary and alternative practices you use. Give them a full picture of what you do to manage your health. This will help ensure coordinated and safe care.
Asian Ginseng, Asian Ginseng types, Asian Ginseng aliases, Asian Ginseng source, Asian Ginseng plants, Asian Ginseng plant morphology, Asian Ginseng acquisition, Asian Ginseng traits, Asian Ginseng chemical composition, Asian Ginseng taste, Asian Ginseng function, Asian Ginseng functional indications, Asian Ginseng of the details, Asian Ginseng information, Asian Ginseng photos, Asian Ginseng pictures, Asian Ginseng videos, Asian Ginseng photo studio, about ginseng,acupuncture,alternative health,alternative health care,alternative medicine,american ginseng extract,american ginseng herb,american ginseng tea,asian ginseng,astragalus,benefit of siberian ginseng,benefits of ginseng,benefits of korean ginseng,best ginseng,blood pressure ginseng,blood pressure herbs,buy ginseng,buy korean ginseng,canadian ginseng,chasteberry,chinese ginseng,chinese herbs,chinese red ginseng,complementary and alternative medicine,complementary medicine,complimentary and alternative medicine,diabetes health,diabetes health care,dried ginseng,effects of ginseng,eleuthero,eleuthero ginseng,eleuthero siberian ginseng,eleutherococcus senticosus,extractum ginseng panax red,female ginseng,fenugreek,garlic,ginger,ginseng,ginseng abuse syndrome,ginseng american,ginseng and diabetes,ginseng and high blood pressure,ginseng and pregnancy,ginseng bathhouse,ginseng benefit,ginseng benefits,ginseng berry,ginseng capsule,ginseng capsules,ginseng coffee,ginseng company,ginseng complex,ginseng diabetes,ginseng dosage,ginseng dose,ginseng drink,ginseng effects,ginseng extract,ginseng extracts,ginseng extractum,ginseng farm,ginseng farming,ginseng ficus,ginseng formula,ginseng ginkgo,ginseng ginko,ginseng health,ginseng health benefit,ginseng health benefits,ginseng herb,ginseng herbs,ginseng info,ginseng korean,ginseng medicinal,ginseng online,ginseng overdose,ginseng photo,ginseng picture,ginseng pill,ginseng pills,ginseng plant,ginseng plants,ginseng powder,ginseng powermax,ginseng prices,ginseng product,ginseng properties,ginseng radix,ginseng revitalizer,ginseng rootlets,ginseng roots,ginseng royal jelly,ginseng sale,ginseng seed,ginseng seeds,ginseng siberian extract,ginseng side effects,ginseng supplement,ginseng supplements,ginseng tablet,ginseng tablets,ginseng tea,ginseng teas,ginseng tonic,ginseng up,ginseng use,ginseng uses,ginseng vitamin,ginsing,goldenseal,green tea with ginseng,growing ginseng,guarana ginseng,health benefits of ginseng,health for diabetes,health menopause,herb diabetes,heb for health,herbal ginseng,herbs diabetes,herbs for diabetes,herbs for menopause,herbs health,herbs menopause,holistic health,how to grow ginseng,hsu ginseng,hsu’s ginseng,hsus ginseng,hunting ginseng,imperial elixir ginseng,information on ginseng,jovan ginseng,korea ginseng,korean ginseng benefits,korean ginseng extract,korean ginseng powder,korean ginseng side effects,korean ginseng tea,korean red ginseng,korean red ginseng extract,korean red ginseng tea,korean red panax ginseng,korean white ginseng,liquid american ginseng,liquid ginseng,manchurian ginseng,menopause side effects,milk thistle,north american ginseng,organic ginseng,over the counter medicine to lower blood pressure,panax,panax ginseng,panax ginseng benefit,panax ginseng benefits,panax ginseng extract,panax ginseng extractum,panax ginseng liquid,panax ginseng side effects,panax ginseng tea,red ginseng,red ginseng extract,red ginseng tea,red panax ginseng,red panax ginseng extract,siberian ginseng,siberian ginseng benefits,siberian ginseng side effects,siberian ginseng tea,side effects of ginseng,tienchi ginseng,turmeric,types of ginseng,what does ginseng do,what is ginseng,white ginseng,wiki ginseng,wild american ginseng,wild ginseng